Cyber security poses a major challenge to online business, as hackers are becoming more numerous and daring in compromising websites, particularly commercial sites where sensitive financial information is exchanged. A breach can create huge liability costs and shake customer confidence in a business. That’s why all ecommerce sites should use secure sockets layer (SSL) protection.
SSL protects information by encrypting data between two servers. Only the host computer can decrypt the data and only the client computer can verify the server certificate. If the session is interrupted for any reason, the session is broken and must be reestablished. Sites that implement the SSL/TLS protocol display a padlock icon in the address bar.
SSL is more than just a technical tool to provide security for transactions; it is a trusted name in security. When customers see the SSL icon, they’re reassured that their financial information is safe and secure. This helps build consumer loyalty and confidence in your brand.
As technology advances and cyber security becomes even more threatened, installing an SSL Certificate to safeguard websites activities has also becomes compulsory.
- Verification - SSL certificate on your server is a guarantee to your visitors that you really are who you say you are.
- Trust – If you get an EV certificate that shows the green address bar in the browser, you’re going to be giving your visitors a sense of trust.
- Integrity of Data - you guarantee integrity of data.
- Google and SEO Ranking - SSL on your server enhances google and other SE ranking.
- Proxy Caching - if you have a complex proxy caching system setup on your web server. Encrypted content isn’t going to be able to be cached.
- Mixed Modes – If your SSL implementation isn’t setup correctly and you still have some files being served via HTTP rather than HTTPS, visitors are going to get a warning message in their browser letting them know some of the data isn’t protected.
- Cost of Certificate – It is possible to get a free SSL certificate, but this isn’t recommended for a lot of reasons.